Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Sony Violates Own Principles, Publishes Game That Glorifies Pirates


Once again, I'm late with the technology news. Call it my right Achilles heel. My left Achilles heel is the tendency to miss my mouth when I eat.

Sony released Level 5's Rogue Galaxy last month, prompting me to go through a two-week "should I buy it or not?" conundrum; I had convinced myself that my failure to finish Dark Chronical, another Level 5 game, was reason enough to keep my money in my wallet.

Like I said, that only lasted two weeks.

I still haven't finished Dark Chronical, but that's going to have to wait until another day, as I am now in the thick of Rogue Galaxy, a game in which an unlikely team of "space pirates" undergo a quest to stop an evil war profiteer from obtaining...something really important. (My Japanese is almost good enough to fully understand the plot.)

Interesting, isn't it? Sony, a company known for its selfish formatting philosophies and general disregard for consumers, publishes a game in which the heroes are pirates.

Whaa?

Apparently Sony acted in good faith that kids would understand that those walk-the-plank, shiver-me-timbers, rape-and-pillage kind of pirates are fun for the whole family, while pirates who modify their PSPs for the purpose of ROM emulation are dangerous and must be dealt with severely. Similarly, Disney was confident when they released Pirates of the Caribbean that nobody would ever mistake Jack Sparrow for the kind of guy who might rip a Toy Story DVD onto his hard drive, or raid a container ship loaded with copies of National Treasure.

No comments: