Sunday, June 26, 2005

Pu-rai-do!!!

Yesterday marked the second anniversary of my arrival in Tokyo. But the real celebration is tonight in Roppongi, where my ex-roommate Craig (pictured here) and I will partake in the honorable Japanese tradition of PRIDE.

PRIDE is a freestyle fighting tournament in which competitors from around the world (but mostly Japan, Brazil and the US) beat each other up, then hug and tell each other, "You're the greatest, man!" We'll be watching the live PPV broadcast at Tokyo Sports Cafe, which seems as good a place as any to witness a sporting event that typifies humankind's devolution into green-skinned beast men.

You may have heard of the Roppongi district, as it is considered to be the number one hangout zone for foreigners in Tokyo. But since I'm not too enthusiastic about Roppongi's tendency toward obnoxious dance clubs, overpriced restaurants and general dumbness, tonight will be only the second time for me to set foot there since my arrival in Tokyo...which was when? Very good! Two years ago yesterday. See, I knew you were paying attention.

No comments: