Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Xbox 360 Needs Medical Attention

There are many ways to annoy me. You can do it by using your screeching bicycle breaks within three meters of my ears. Or you can fall asleep while taking up the seat space normally occupied by two people on the Nambu Line. You can even annoy me by coming to your English lesson and answering the question "How are you?" with "I'm tired" or "I'm sick." (Many students don't understand that "How are you?" is a rhetorical question and that "I'm sick" is the last thing a teacher wants to hear at the beginning of an English lesson in a tiny classroom with no ventilation.)

The point is, when it comes to being annoyed, I'm just about the most versatile person I know. And this week, even my Xbox 360 decided to have a go at putting me in a mood by exhibiting symptoms of video card trouble...and doing so while I was in the middle of Street Fighter IV, Biohazard 5 and Call of Duty: World At War.

I'm not sure what course of action I'll take. Barring the appearance of the Red Ring of Death between now and October, my machine is out of warranty. And Microsoft's priced repair services, while supposedly helpful, are expensive and slow. The only reason I'm even considering using said repair service is that last year, when the R button on my out-of-warranty DS broke, Nintendo bolstered my faith in the basic goodness of humankind by repairing it free of charge.

I'm currently waiting for Microsoft to send me a new video cable, just to make sure that the problem isn't with the cable rather than the actual hardware. The simple act of sending me this cable is supposed to take ten days. Ten days?! What are they doing, carving the cable out of ivory?

I hope it is just the cable. It'd be sad if my Xbox became an ex-Xbox.

No comments: