Tuesday, January 08, 2008

May You Be With the Force

Guess who has a ticket to see The Police next month at the Tokyo Dome.

I do. I do.

Guess who's not embarrassed in the least to admit to being a longtime fan of The Police.

Me. Me.

When I was five years old, my parents went to see The Police on the Synchronicity Tour and I've been jealous about it ever since. I have cloudy, happy memories of goofing off in the living room while "Walking In Your Footsteps" played on the stereo. In high school, my band wanted to cover "Synchronicity II," be we gave up because Andy Summer's guitar chords turned out to be a lot harder than they sounded (besides, try as I may, I couldn't get my drums to sound anything like Stewart Copeland's, and singing Sting's high-range vocals is a one-way ticket to sprained vocal chords).

I don't care if they played dorky faux-reggae songs. I don't care if their Sting's were pretentious and trite. I was a Police kid and now I'm a Police man.

1 comment:

carey said...

JESSE I AM SO JEALOUS!!! I love the Police too...no wonder we've always gotten along so well. I was addicted to "Don't Stand so Close to Me" for all of 5th grade--that was the year that I told my biological dad I didn't want to see him anymore because he was pretty emotionally/mentally abusive with me, and he had remarried someone younger, so whenever they hit the "this girl is half his age" line I just belted it. Ahhhh...music therapy. Anyway, ENJOY THE CONCERT!!! I'm jealous...and thank you for the awesome New Year's card!! You guys are the best! :-)