Monday, March 31, 2008

Big Walk 2008

This year's Big Walk was admittedly not as big as previous years' (I started at home and decided to call it a day when I got to Kanda), but it did serve its purpose of producing some nice photography. I'm going to break from my established format for posting the photos this time around, for a number of reasons. For example, I usually include a detailed record of exactly where I walked, but this year I just didn't keep track of my route. So no maps, no stats, no lengthy anecdotes. I'm posting all the Big Walk photos in this one post with minimal captioning.

It wasn't quite hanami peak yet in most of the places I took pictures, so my wide shots of trees generally didn't turn out as well as my close-ups. Here are the best of the shots I took in Yoyogi Park:

Since I didn't record my progress through the city, I have no idea where the following photos were taken:

It wouldn't be a Big Walk if I didn't follow the Kanda River, one of my favorite features of central Tokyo. Here are some of the shots I took between Yotsuya and Ochanomizu:

As I didn't walk any further than the Kanda district, I didn't pass any more cherry blossom viewing spots after the ones taken by the river near Ochanomizu. I did, however, want to include this little story:

Near the entrance to Suidôbashi Station, some fool had parked his bicycle with a basket full of ad fliers and left it unattended. The wind picked up and scattered the fliers all over the road beneath the train bridge, as you can see below. I waited around a little while to see if I could get a shot of the bicycle's owner bearing witness to the havoc they had created, but they never showed up.

So that pretty much takes care of this year's urban hike. Next I'll post photos taken at Hikarigaoka Park yesterday, when the sakura were at maxiumum blossomage.

No comments: