Tuesday, November 22, 2005

My Typing is Louder Than My Speech

Yesterday I went home early from work after losing my voice. My Monday shift is always a challenge; it's earlier than all my other shifts, and it includes three vocally-demanding classes of kids aged 2 to 4 (they attend class together with a parent). I assumed that, as per my usual pattern of recovery, I would be okay to go back to work today after getting a full night's sleep and doing a bit of quality expectorating.

Well, imagine my surprise when Girlfriend called up to me from downstairs, "I'm going to work, see you later!" and all I could muster up as a response was, "...!"

This means I had to call in sick today, as well. My job depends too much on my ability to talk and be polite. My students might not appreciate it if I show up to the lesson talking like Dick Cheney and coughing and spitting everywhere.

I really don't like the idea of calling in sick twice in a row; I get the impression that my boss at Tokyo headquarters sees this and goes, "Well, well, well. Looks like Thomas doesn't like to work." And he'd be right about that, but....man, am I sick. Sick as a dog. And I mean a really sick puppy.

No comments: